“In difficult times carry something beautiful in your heart.”
Just last week a client shared that she’s starting a job search, even in the midst of the pandemic, because she’s tired of feeling like she doesn’t matter at work – especially to her boss.
We know we’re in unprecedented times. And no doubt my client’s boss is feeling stretched. We’re living through multiple crisis and it can be overwhelming to stay afloat let along know what to do to make a meaningful difference.
But we are not powerless.
And if there’s one thing to focus on now, it’s reminding ourselves and others that we matter.
To matter is to know, respect, and honor the inherent and irrefutable significance of self and other.
3 Things You Can Do Now to Remind Yourself that You Matter:
- Write the phrase: I give myself permission to be human on a Post-it note and place it where you can see it regularly.
- Start your day with a moment of self-tenderness like smiling at yourself in the bathroom mirror or giving yourself a gentle hug.
- Reach out and ask for help. You are worthy of support.
3 Things You Can Do Now to Remind Your Employees that They Matter:
- Give them your undivided attention when you speak with them.
- Remind them of their unique contribution to the whole.
- Recognize their efforts as much as the actual results.
1 Thing You Can Do Now to have the Best November of Your Life (Yes – even during this November!)
Sign up for the 2020 You Matter Marathon – No Running Required – and you’ll receive 30 You Matter cards for free and be part of a world-wide phenomenon. We also have a virtual You Matter card you can send from your home.
For more tips on mattering at work, check out my LinkedIn Live conversation with Julie Cohen, Founder and CEO of Work.Life.Leader.